The #MaltaSocialBikingChallenge aims to encourage cycling as a sustainable method of transport and award commuters who adopt cycling as a transport practice.
The challenge covers 3 weeks, starting from the 16th September till the 6th of October. Participants collect points depending on the distances covered by bicycle. These are tracked by the readily available and free BikePrints app.
To be part of the Malta Social Biking Challenge, interested participants must follow these steps:
Download the BikePrints app
Register your participation
Select ‘S-b Malta Challenge’ as location category
Once registered participants can track their progress during each stage.
Start cycling and collecting points
Participants are eligible to participate in every Stage.
The time brackets of each Stage are as follows:
- Pair Stage (September 16-22)
- Group Stage (September 23-29)
- Individual Stage (September 30 – October 6)
Each pair tracks their rides and earns points for the kilometres covered during the week. To form a pair, participants must invite a friend or find another participant who has expressed their interest in forming a pair through the app.
In this stage participants can earn Pair bonus points as follows:
· Common route bonus points (1 km = 2 points) – are earned when a participant follows the route of his/her partner (not at the same time)
· Cycling together bonus points (1km=3points) – are earned when the pair rides together (at the same time)
Groups of four, track their rides and earn points for the kilometres covered during the week. To form a group, participants must invite three friends or find three participants from the app who are interested to form a group of four.
In this stage participants can earn Group bonus points as follows:
- Common route bonus points (1 km = 2 points) are earned when at least two participants of the group follow the same route (not at the same time)
- Cycling together bonus points (1 km = 3 points) are earned when at least two participants of the group ride together (at the same time).
Each participant tracks his/her rides and earns points for the kilometres covered during the week of the stage (1km= 1point).
Note: When a Stage ends, all participants are automatically transferred to the following stage. However, if for example one is participating in the Pair Stage, participants must take part in pairs in order to earn points. The same principle applies to the other Stages as indicated above.
Thirty (30) prizes are up for grabs and will be awarded to participants randomly. Winners will be awarded €100 vouchers to spend on Cycling Equipment. Ten (10) vouchers are assigned per Stage. Chances of winning are directly proportional to the number of points collected.
Another seven (7) prizes are up for grabs for the winners of each Stage. Winners will be awarded a €1,400 voucher to purchase a pedelec. Prizes will be assigned as shown below:
- One (1) pedelec will be awarded to the Individual Stage winner
- Two (2) Pedelecs will be awarded to the Pair Stage winners
- Four (4) pedelecs will be awarded to the Group Stage winners
Dates to keep in mind
Dates regarding registration and prize distribution are as shown below:
- 09th September: Registration is open.
- 16th September: Start of the Malta Social Biking challenge
- 16th – 22nd September: Pair Stage
- 23rd– 29th September: Group Stage
- 30th September – October 6th: Individual Stage
- 06th October: End of the Malta Social Biking challenge
- 14th October: Prizes distribution
- 13th December: Deadline to claim prizes